Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

you got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away and know when to run

I'm not sure what I would be doing right now if I were in New Zealand. One of my good training friends who has trained her ass off flew to New Zealand last week to participate in her first ever full Ironman. If anyone was ready for an Ironman finish it was Stacia. We had a super fun dinner, got her some fun travel gifts and sent her on her way. The race was going to be tomorrow New Zealand time.

Today I just heard, IMNZ cancelled for Typhoon. Instead they will have a 70.3 on Sunday. She is actually handling it very well, but she's normally a very calm person.

How would you guys handle this? I think I would have a breakdown. Literally.

3 comments:

  1. If it was my first time to race a full IM I would be incredibly disappointed. However, I think I would understand the decision. All that training and money... wow! Who knows how long it would take to get another IM slot somewhere. If you were lucky enough to find a slot in a few months, then that would mean you would have to keep training without really giving yourself a much needed recovery. I am impressed, however, that the local officials and the IMNZ folks were able to come up with a race the next day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to come up with a 70.3 the next day is amazing. and while I'd totally understand the need to keep us safe, man I'd be devestated. Not sure I'd be willing to do that training again for a very long time!

      Delete
  2. I'd be breaking down, but understanding that no race is worth risking life or limb. Still super sucks though.

    ReplyDelete