Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2012

the hills are alive with the sound of music

....and also my screams. Today was the infamous "Hell Hill Week" for Boca training. When I heard this my first thought was "wait, isn't every week Hell Hill week?" Turns out this little island has a F*#$ load of hills. And some of them are freaking steep. We ended up starting at Kapiolani Park and doing some hills around Diamond Head, including the one to take actually to the Diamond Head hike. Then we headed down Kalanianaole Hwy and did a few hills behind Portlock. We headed back on Kalaniaole and ended up doing some huge ass hill in one of the valleys. This one was so steep that I gave up 3/4 of the way with a few other people, because I knew what was coming next. Sierra Drive.

I wasn't nervous because I knew it was similar to Tantalus, but this was the first time I would be tackling such a massive hill after already riding 35 miles. Normally when we do Tantalus, that's all we do on a quick evening workout. I was hydrating and eating a ton, but I still knew I wasn't at 100%. Well, I ended up surviving Sierra Drive and then we headed back. It ended up being a 37 mile total ride and I am glad we are doing flats again next week.

For long rides, I have become a HUGE fan of Recovery e21. You can get it at the bike shop or online. I take 2 before I ride and 2 halfway through and I haven't bonked once since I started this. I really think it helps.

Other things to note this week:

1. My brother got his plane ticket for Kona. Suddenly he is flying in Friday and will make the race. Originally he didn't want to take another day off work and was just going to come after the race. He really must love his s̶i̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ Lance Armstrong.
2. I booked my hotel for Kona awhile ago. Since I have family and friends coming I did this in advance, but I was also reminded I should reserve my car so I could get one that would fit my bike before they are all taken. Done.

One more week of cycling clinic, 1 week off, then Honu training begins!

4 comments:

  1. I like the e21 stuff too. I use it for long bikes and long runs. Wow, you had quite a workout... Sierra Drive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never used it for a run, but I plan on it next time I run a long distance. Sierra Drive was tough, especially after the rest of that ride.

      Delete