Pages

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Honolulu Marathon 2011 Race Report

Who got a PR of 1 hour and 15 minutes? This girl! The race really went well, I could not ask for a better day or race. As most of you know because I mentioned it 4,592 times, my good friend Annie came to Hawaii to run the marathon with me this year. We trained separately but planned to run the race together if possible.

The night before we went to a super fun party, but had to be the party poopers who left at 8:00pm to get to bed before the race. It's times like those that I wonder why I am doing events like this and really miss being able to stay and hang out with friends. I soon forgot that feeling when I remembered how amazing the next day was going to be.

In years past I have been a nervous wreck and not slept good because I was terrified that I was going to miss the alarm. Imagine that, all that training and you don't wake up for race day! To ease the panic, I had my dad call me at 3:00am (8:00am his time) That worked out perfectly, I was able to sleep better and his phone call woke me right up. We walked to the race start and you could feel the excitement in the air. We made our way up to start with the Kenyans. Annie has never done that before and I insisted its the only way to do it. I think she was glad we did.

The weather was amazing, it was overcast and cloudy but didn't really rain all day. I didn't see the sun until I hit mile 25. I felt really strong throughout the entire race and really don't think that there is anything I would change.

Total Place: 1655
Age Group Place: 67/1446
Gender Place: 339/9113
Finishing Time: 04:05:47
40k Split: 3:54:05
30k Split: 2:55:36
Half Split: 2:02:02
10k Split: 57:20


Here are some highlights from the race in photos. Most photographs are courtesy of our race Sherpa Ann. I am so thankful that she came all the way from Texas to be there and was able to capture this day for us. Spectating is really just as tough as racing!

Before the race and ready to go!

At mile 15 right when I saw my good friend Angie in her Steelers jersey. She had oranges and gatorade and basically saved our lives.

Finishing strong

Finally sitting after eating our malasadas and getting our tshirts.

We did it!

Can you tell I am having trouble walking?

Thank you so much Annie for such a memorable race and visit. Let's not let 8 years go by again before I see you again!

Thank you to everyone who supported me before, during, and after this race. All the FaceBook messages, blog comments, and texts really did help. Also to all the race volunteers and friends who got up to bring us racers snacks, you guys deserve a medal too!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations again! You did it and with an incredible time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Deanna! Congrats on the HUGE PR and thanks for taking care of Annie for the week!

    Nice work on your splits, only about 90secs differential from the first 13.1 to the second - excellent pacing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I really am happy with how I paced. There was only one time that I feel like I could have gone faster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your race and finish time. You and Annie looked like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete