Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

hold on for one more day

Tonight sucked....and I'm blogging about it so hopefully someone can say they have had a similar experience and I am normal and not a lunatic like my "non tri" friends think. It's amazing what lessons you can learn about yourself from working out and how problem solving workouts can help you in everyday life. I am a very obsessive person. Anything I do, I do it all the way. I am going to venture to say that's probably the type A+++++ personality type of most athletes. I also thrive on routine and do not do well with adapting to sudden change.

Tonight I did my normal Thursday routine, flew home from work, got ready to do my workout, made sure I had my GPS watch (I always forget it) and drove to the studio. Only we weren't meeting at the studio. In all that has been going on in the week, I never once considered the location on the schedule might change and we'd be meeting at Kapiolani Park. I drove there ASAP. Got there in 15 minutes, saw the group running and couldn't find parking. By this point I was a mess, I HATE being late for things but by this point I was also so upset that I knew I wasn't going to stay OR even do a workout. Which is silly, I should have calmed myself down and headed straight for the YMCA and did a 30 minute treadmill run.

Instead I called 2 friends to have them calm me down and reassure me that I am not a failure and no I don't suck. I also decided to go get myself a foam roller. So I will use that tonight instead of a work out because I suck and talked myself out of it.

The lesson that I learned here is that really this behavior does carry over to other parts of my life and I really need to work on it. When something does not go exactly as planned in my strict schedule, I need to adapt better and be able to change the plan. I do not do this well in any aspect of my life. I just shut down and do nothing.

That's an awful lot of personal info/whining for one day, but I'm hoping to learn a lot about myself and what I need to work on throughout this process. I will not be successful if I can not adapt to a varying schedule because even though Wilson Phillips says so, "things will not always go my way."

2 comments:

  1. Hey Deanna at least you realize it is something that you need to work on. No one is perfect and you could have a lot worse qualities.
    You can always adapt and run tomorrow :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't adapt to change well at all either. Particularly when it comes to my workouts. I, too, have skipped a workout b/c of change that I don't want to deal with. I figure as long as it only happens once in a while it is ok.

    ReplyDelete