Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

the tinman story

I was going to wait until the day of the Tinman to write about the journey, but I'm too excited and I'm sure I'll have a ton more to write about that day.

On May 15th, I did the Sprint distance Honolulu triathlon. It was semi successful. I had 2 goals for that day.

1. Don't die
2. Finish under 2 hours if I don't die

I did accomplish both of those goals, but I had no idea where to go from there. I kinda sorta trained, by trained I mean attempted to swim in the ocean a few times, rode my bike to work, and continued my normal marathon training run schedule. I knew there had to be a better way, but I didn't know any triathletes.

I had originally signed up to do the Honolulu tri training through Boca Hawaii but the dates changed and it fell through. I am so glad that it did because it gave me a chance to become more comfortable on the bike before I started the training. So, I decided to give it a try again and sign up for a 10 week training for the Tinman Olympic distance triathlon on July 24th. Only now it's 11 weeks because the race was moved to July 31 because of the usual jelly fish invasion.

I really, really wish I had documented the last 10 weeks and the progress that I have made. The first day I showed up I didn't even know how to put my bike in the trainer. I didn't have clipless pedals and the bike wasn't fitted for me at all. 10 weeks later I am ready to get aero bars as soon as this race is over and have done multiple 30 mile rides. I still suck at swimming, but I suck a bit less than 10 weeks ago. My run has gotten so much better. I run with better form and have taken 45 seconds off my average mile time.

The training varied more towards the beginning but it basically looked like this:
Monday - Swim instruction at the pool
Tuesday - Bike trainer workout and run
Wednesday - Swim instruction at the pool
Thursday - At the beginning it was bike/swim - but now it's mostly just a track run day
Friday - off day. We were supposed to swim, but I usually just went to crossfit
Saturday - Either Run/Swim, Bike/Swim, or Bike/Run (once we even did the entire Tinman course)
Sunday - Whichever we didn't do the day before.

I can't say enough good things about this group. The coaches and members are all amazing. They really took the time to teach us and even tailored so that brand new people could train with Ironman finishers. Training with a group has been such a positive and motivating experience. I even have triathlete friends now that I can train with in the off season. I am considering doing their Honolulu Marathon training, possibly the winter cycling, but definitely I will be doing the half Ironman training next year!

11 day until the Tinman!!! You can check out the course here.

2 comments:

  1. Ummmmm I don't know those fancy tri-athlete words you're using! What did you do to your bike? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you know how I feel when you post things about ovoo! I got the pedals that your shoes clip to and want to get the bars that you lay on so that you are more aerodynamic. You'll catch on!

    ReplyDelete